19 May 2014
Filed under: umbraco
- by Douglas Robar
There are a number of ways to install Umbraco but for many the easiest way to install Umbraco locally is to use the free Microsoft WebMatrix application. Highly recommended.
- Install WebMatrix from microsoft.com/web/webmatrix.
Any other pre-requisite software will also be downloaded and installed for you if you don't already have it.
Download and Unzip Umbraco
Because there is a delay between when Umbraco releases a new version and when it appears in the App Gallery, I prefer to download the latest zip file myself.
- Select the Current version of Umbraco from the Download page.
- Select the first release file, UmbracoCms.7.x.x.zip file.
- Right-click the downloaded .zip file and choose Properties. In the Security section, click the Unblock button and then click Apply.
- Extract the zip file to a folder.
Open the site with WebMatrix
- Right-click the folder and choose Open as a website with Microsoft WebMatrix.
- Click the Run icon on the WebMatrix toolbar to open up your local Umbraco site in your browser.
Complete the Umbraco installation
Enter your Name, Email, and Password.
Be sure you can remember the email and password, you'll need this to login to Umbraco.
To specify the database and optional starter site, click the Customize link.
Select the Database type (SQL CE is recommended).
Click the Continue button.
Click the No thanks, I do not want to install a starter website link.
Oops, I accidentally installed the starter kit!
No worries, it's quick and easy to remove the starter website if you don't need it or forgot to click the Customize link, above, during installation.
- Click the Developer section icon on the left edge of the Umbraco interface.
- Expand the Packages item in the tree view.
- Expand the Installed packages item in the tree view.
- Select the Txt Starter Kit item in the tree view.
- Select the Uninstall package tab.
Click the Confirm uninstall button
You are ready to get started!
You now have a fresh and empty Umbraco site running on your laptop.